Sunday, September 16, 2007

Walk This Way

About 3 in the morning, I awoke to an unusual pain. My left leg was suffering cramps. The non-athlete that I am, I did not know what to do to lessen the suffering. I am not aware which position will cause relief. For about one whole minute, the solid feeling was there, and I almost shouted for help, but thinking about how our neighbors would react, I decided to find a remedy by myself, for myself. Probably the most normal thing to do was to massage the muscles affected, and it worked. Back to sleepland.

Looking back, I did walk a lot yesterday, more than the usual walk I do to get to school (Ateneo). Since September 15 is ACET day, I woke up earlier than usual, and decided to take the Cubao-LRT route than my Philcoa-UP routine. I walked a little over two blocks to ride a jeepney that will take me to España, then I crossed the street, then rode a Cubao jeepney. Afterwards, I headed to the Araneta Center-Cubao LRT station, and alighted the train when it stopped at the Katipunan station.

Other students riding the LRT would prefer walking for about 3 minutes from Aurora Boulevard until they reach the tricycle terminal near Mini-Stop Katipunan. From here on, they will just ride the trike displaying an Ateneo sticker and to their class. I however, am a big fan of walking (and saving my coins for something else). From Aurora Boulevard, I travelled by foot to Ateneo until I got to my classroom (a pitstop in a washroom is a must, for my sweat glands will again perform its niche).

I like to think that I am good enough in walking even with vehicles just inches by your side, since sidewalks are not always pedestrian-friendly. When “trapped” in between an approaching car and a parked one, I do not hesitate to contort my body and my bag to avoid collision (as opposed to just taking a few steps back). With this oh-so-useful talent, I can appreciate the establishments on my right. I don’t usually buy, but thinking about what they offer keeps me busy and makes me forget the agony of the feet (a pun I got from Thy Kingdom Camia’s Portia). Here are the more notable ones for me:

Mini-Stop offers Hot Loops doughnuts - not my favorite, but they are the most accessible, so they will do in cases of cravings – plus all the C2 flavors. Pan de Manila has a reasonably-priced Pesto Cheese Bread, perfect when reheated. Then there’s Craving’s; I only get to eat in this place when it’s someone’s treat. McDonald’s Katipunan will always be a group study haven, and it seems the manager is aware of this; the ambience is very conducive for reading.

Crossing the street, there’s Shakey’s, where some of the McDo customers park whenever there’s a shortage of space. I have yet to try their ice cream buffet. Beside the pizza parlor is Cantina, where soon-to-be-drunk dudes hangout. Starbucks accommodate the more sober clientele. Then everyone’s favorite, Jollibee is side by side National Bookstore, with two cannons at the entrance.

I then walked up the overpass, and as a matter of habit, I looked left and right and inspect Katipunan traffic. Then, while heading towards the other side, I will look at the FBR Building and check if an orange sign is still there. The orange sign is for Cello’s Doughnuts and Dips, my hands down favorite. After entering Gate 2.5 (affectionately called as such, since it is in between Gates 2 and 3), I walked first towards the library to return some books, then to the cafeteria to eat a waffle dog.

My Algebraic Structures teacher wasn’t around for my 9AM class, but she left us a seatwork, due on Wednesday. After trying to answer the items, I left Ateneo at about 10:30AM and headed to Rizal, but I had to be back by 1PM for my Modern Complex Analysis class. On the way back, I feared that ACET traffic will be in its full force, and true enough, vehicles in Katipunan are barely moving. So, again, I had to walk from Aurora to Ateneo (I bought siopao and a dougnut from Mini-Stop for my improvised lunch), this time faster, since it was already 12:55PM.

I arrived at my building at 1:10PM, but luckily, my professor isn’t around yet, so I wasn’t late and I was jubilant while eating my asado siopao. After more than three hours of reporting, I again needed to go back to Aurora to ride the LRT, then enter Gateway and proceed to MRT. This is also a long stretch, but commuters do not mind this already (I’m even updated on what’s going on in Araneta Coliseum). After buying my ticket, I alighted at North Avenue and entered Trinoma since I have matters to do. After that, I had to cross Mindanao Avenue to ride a Quiapo jeep, which I will alight to ride a Blumentritt jeep to reach home and get my rest.

It’s odd that my right leg isn’t hurting as much; as far as I remember, I use both legs alternately. Maybe I put more force with my left that with my right? I wouldn’t know.

Another mystery for mankind to solve.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home