Monday, October 15, 2007

First Gimik of the Kingdom

wiSaturday came. The date of my Algebraic Structures final exam. Since there were no classes the day before (last day of Ramadan), I had some time for studying, after resting. The exam was harder than I expected; I studied some parts lightly, only to encounter them again. The sad part is, the said questions are in our handouts, with complete solutions.

Good thing I’m going to meet Camia (or, those who were allowed to go plus those who really wanted to go) in the afternoon. This day is also the First Screening of PSHS-NCE. I had to beg off proctoring duties because of my exam in Ateneo, but little did I know that the finals for my other subject was moved on a weekday. I can still sign up as proctor even in the afternoon only, but all the slots were filled. So it means that I can have the free time with Camia.

It was perfect timing, I guess. Thy Kingdom Camia (well, every student probably) had piles of things to do and study for the last two weeks of the second quarter, and this Saturday was the first weekend where there is relatively nothing to do (Some Saturdays were even made school days), so they deserved a break. Plus, Camia placed second in Speech Choir, so the day will also serve as a celebration of sorts (maybe the 4th-place Tinikling finish should also be included). Plus, my semester is soon over. So to Eastwood we trooped.

I met up first with Emil, Josh, and JJ in Katipunan. We brought Cello’s doughnuts (we’re in Katipunan already, so I might as well buy some boxes). The others are in McDo Eastwood already: Aveline, Zarra, Elysse, Arvin, Ianne, Aldrich, and Justine. Mia arrived after us, then we transferred to Yellow Cab for lunch (I suppose the management of McDo encounters people who meet up in their place, then leave without eating, on a regular basis). Justin and Conrad were just in time for New York’s Finest. Some didn’t eat, since they ate lunch already, and busied themselves with card games. By the way, Elysse brought some brownies she said she baked herself.

I sort of dictated the plan: find a studio where we can have our pictures taken, then buy tickets for the movie, then Power Station (a must), then movie, then dinner. By the way, Conrad, Aveline, and JJ each had a very hilarious statements, the details of which I will leave out, since I’d love to live until I’m old. Since we weren’t successful in finding a studio, we just looked for a nice backdrop and we prepared our digicams. Nakatipid pa tuloy. Some of us were sucking jawbreakers, which Elysse bought for us, and I swear this candy is a choking hazard.

Next: the movie. It was a tough call: which movie to watch? Resident Evil, Kung Fu something, and No Reservations were interesting, but the choices were narrowed down to two: Stardust and Apat Dapat, Dapat Apat, a local film boasting of today’s top comediennes. Since I will be paying for the tickets (and they will pay me after), and most of them responded “kahit ano”, it was up to me then. Some of my students haven’t watched a local movie in a theater ever; this could be their first. And the thought of meeting up in Eastwood to watch Pokwang and Eugene Domingo is very thrilling, not to mention blackmail-friendly. And, to quote Robert de Niro’s character, our/their reputations, which took so long to build, might be destroyed in a snap.

So Stardust it was. (Though I joked, and some believed, that it was the local movie we were watching.)

Next came the exciting part: Power Station. I wasn’t exposed to arcade gaming as a child, so I’m practically an amateur in this arena. For the record, combining Jasmin 09 and Camia 2010, I am unbeatable in air hockey – in Timezone. Somehow, the same is not true in Power Station: I am winless in the three-puck play version. I really wonder why, since three pucks at a time never bothered me. Then the realization: the goals in Eastwood are wider, so my defense strategy is not working. JJ beat me by two points, but Josh beat him. Josh insists he, in effect, beat me by transitivity, but that is a big contradiction, since air hockey is not an equivalence relation. By the way, JJ and I teamed up against Emil and Conrad, to no avail. My losing streak continued.

Josh and I weren’t able to settle our score in air hockey, so to Dance Maniax we went. Hah! I beat him by millions of points (…), so Josh, JJ, and I are even – for now. Eventually, JJ and the girls “danced” as well.

Aldrich asked me to play Time Crisis, and I was no match to his gun skills. I was having a hard time to reload; Justin was a better partner to Aldrich. Conrad, on the other hand, played the rockstar game, and he positioned his guitar vertically, so he doesn’t have to do the showtime move. Harhar. Arvin was beaten by Zarra in racing (Zarra is a driving menace). This racing game is fun: you can transform the wheels of your opponents in cubic form. Justin and Conrad tried driving too. Justine had Emil in hand in playing a mathematically-inclined game. Elysse and Ianne played some hoops.

So much can be done in 90 minutes.

*to be continued*

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home