Sunday, December 09, 2007

Here Comes The Long Break

People, it seems, have a natural tendency to want what they do not currently have. As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. For instance, students loathe schoolwork so much that they can’t wait to graduate, get a job, and earn for themselves. I entertained that thought a lot of times especially during hell weeks, but now that I’m teaching, I sometimes yearn to be that student again with the heavy books and unthinkable schedule. A class discussion can still progress given a handful of unprepared students, but never, I suppose, with a teacher who just pops in class and babbles his way through his allotted 50 minutes. Studying graduate mathematics while teaching somehow brought clarity to both perspectives.

The same argument holds true given school vacations or long weekends. I do not like long weekends; it makes me long for school (and students) more, but come Monday, I sometimes want to just breeze through the week. Even students share this sentiment. On the first few days of vacation, they perform every activity that was forbidden: sleep late, videogames, basketball, etc. But three days after, they long for school, not necessarily for the classes, but because of the people and the atmosphere.

Pisay might be legendary for the very early Christmas vacation that the students willingly savor, to the envy of their non-scholar friends from other schools. One of my Ateneo teachers inferred that Pisay students can afford to take the early break anyway because they are the generation’s intellectual crop, so lessening the school days isn’t an issue. This is one theory that we Pisay alumni might want to subscribe to, but every school actually has a prescribed number of school days to complete in accordance to the law, so we do not exactly have less days. We have the tendency to forget that Pisay starts early (maybe a case of minor selective amnesia for our “moral” benefit”), most of the time on June 1, so having a break in advance is just normal. Another reason for the early vacation is the PSHS-NCE Second Screening. Teachers are sent again all over the country to administer the exam, meaning if there were classes, some teachers will be absent for their lectures.

Somehow, I get lonely during long weekends, more so if it is the Christmas vacation already. I can’t explain comprehensively. Given that I always rooted for time to do all what I fancied, when that time comes, I just don’t get to maximize it. There’s this feeling of attachment to the routine that you are very comfortable doing already.

Another reason probably is that my birthday occurs in this long vacation. The Yuletide season indeed brings extra warmth and joy. On my birthday, well, I usually am happy, but there is the strange feeling of isolation. I see teachers of students celebrate their birthdays on school days, and I will never experience that. Good thing there’s technology nowadays, so I receive messages from well-wishers. And I used to dread the 2-in-1 gift: the curse of people being born in a certain date neighborhood before or after Christmas. You get your birthday present, but your siblings receive something as well. You never receive any during their birthdays. Haha.

I hope I can do whatever I can in the next few days, before I regret not enjoying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home